What can make your teeth straight?
Everything you need to know about Invisalign
Every time a person or celebrity opens their mouth full of perfectly straight teeth, it’s hard not to feel envious that yours don’t look the same. However, it doesn’t have to be this way!
A set of straight, healthy teeth is more than achievable with braces. But not all braces are comfortable to wear, let alone discreet. That’s where Invisalign aligners come in!
With Invisalign braces, you can achieve that glowing smile you always dreamed of. Invisalign aligners straighten teeth more predictably and comfortably than other standard aligners and braces.
If you’ve never heard of Invisalign, then maybe you’re curious about how they work and what benefits they can provide you. In the blog below, we’ll explain exactly what Invisalign aligners are, how they work, as well as some of the advantages they have.
What is Invisalign?
Unlike braces, which use metal wiring and brackets to straighten your teeth, Invisalign repositions your teeth with custom-fit aligners that are made from clear plastic. The main advantage of clear plastic aligners? They’re much less noticeable than regular braces!
Over time, they will gradually apply gentle pressure to your crooked teeth to reposition them, ensuring you have a straight set of pearly whites after the treatment has finished. Not only are they an excellent choice for people looking to align their teeth, but they can also correct over and underbites without the need for surgery.
Invisalign are a type of invisible braces, which uses a series of clear aligners that are custom-moulded to fit your teeth.
How does Invisalign work?
Rhodes Street’s Invisalign treatment has just three simple steps that put you on the path to your brand-new smile!
- Initial enquiry with an Invisalign dentist: Using an i-Tero scanner, our dentist will take a quick but precise, digital 3D scan of your teeth. They’ll then map out a treatment plan that’s custom made for you.
- Start wearing your Invisalign aligners: Pick up your custom-made aligners and start wearing them every day. You’ll need to wear each set of your bespoke aligners for two weeks. At your next appointment, you will be given a new set of aligners, which will gradually move your teeth into the correct position. Otherwise, you can continue with your everyday routine as usual!
- Keep your new smile looking beautiful: Depending on the severity of your teeth, your entire Invisalign treatment will last around 6-18 months. Afterwards, that’s it! You have a set of newly straightened teeth! You can keep on top of your new smile by wearing a Vivera retainer, which will help keep your teeth straight post-treatment.
Is Invisalign really invisible?
Invisalign aligners aren’t 100% invisible; however, Invisalign is much more discreet than traditional metal wire braces. They’re made from a patented clear plastic material called SmartTrack. This flexible plastic fits over your teeth very subtly, making it hard for other people to see it – if they notice anything at all!
How long does Invisalign take?
The length of Invisalign treatments depends on each individual patient’s circumstance. Generally, each set of aligners should be worn for two weeks before changing to the next set. Overall the treatment can last from anywhere between six to eighteen months, but it depends entirely on how much alignment needs to be done.
This is something that you and your dentist will discuss in your initial consultation.
What does Invisalign look like on teeth?
Invisalign is made from a clear, flexible plastic aligner that fits over your teeth discreetly. Because the material is transparent, other people are less likely to notice the braces being in your mouth.
Like any new dental braces treatment, it can take a few days to adjust to the feeling of wearing the aligners in your mouth.
The feel of them on your teeth is also generally pain-free. This is because the realignment movement is very gradual with Invisalign, although you might notice a bit of tenderness when you change to your next set of aligners every couple of weeks. Don’t worry! This is a sign that the Invisalign treatment is working correctly.
Can you eat and drink with Invisalign aligners?
To put the answer simply, yes! One of the main advantages of Invisalign is that patients can continue eating the foods they enjoy without making any drastic changes to their diets. The only thing we ask you not to eat or drink is piping hot food or drinks with them in – as your aligners can become distorted easily with heat.
It’s also recommended that you avoid sugary or acidic food and drinks, as the aligners can prevent your own natural saliva (which stops plaque and bacteria build-up from food) from reaching these parts of your mouth.
Is Invisalign permanent?
If you’re thinking of investing in Invisalign as a permanent solution for straight teeth, then yes, it will do the job. However, like any braces, aligners, or orthodontic treatments, there is a risk of your teeth moving again and unstraightening. That’s why wearing a retainer post-treatment will prevent all Invisalign’s hard work from coming undone.
Which is better, braces or Invisalign?
While Invisalign helps treat most orthodontic problems, they do have their pros and cons versus braces. Here’s why.
The pros of Invisalign
- They’re clear and discreet. No metal wires!
- They can be easily removed while eating or before cleaning your teeth
- You’re still able to enjoy most of your favourite foods
- No risk of injury or discomfort when wearing them
- Invisalign are suitable for wearing when playing sport
Considerations of Invisalign
- It can be easy to forget to wear them as they are not permanently fixed to your mouth like metal braces are
- You have to wear them for approximately 22 hours a day
- The price of Invisalign usually costs more than metal braces
How much does Invisalign cost?
The price of Invisalign depends on each person and can vary depending on what length of treatment they need.
At Rhodes Street Dental, we have finance options available for Invisalign, allowing you to pay in monthly instalments to spread the cost!
RHODES ST DENTAL PRACTICE – THE LEADING PRIVATE DENTAL CLINIC IN OLDHAM
To book in your teeth whitening consultation today call 0161 823 5329. Our highly qualified and experienced team adhere to guidance from the General Dental Council (GDC) ‘Standards For Dental Professionals’ so you can rest assured you’ll be in the safest of hands.
Call – 0161 823 5329